Species commonly found in Singapore
1. American cockroach, Periplaneta americana
2. German cockroach, Blattella germanica
An cockroach goes through three stages of life: Egg, Nymph, and Adult. Cockroaches eggs are surrounded by hard protective covering, forming egg capsule called Ootheca.
Newly molted nymphs are white in colour but will darken within few hours. Nymphs resemble adults in appearance and behaviour, but smaller and without wings. Nymphs normally undergo 5 -10 molting process before the develop to an adult.
Interesting facts about cockroaches
- Cockroaches are Nocturnal (active at night) and Omnivorous (feed on any kind of food).
- Male cockroaches forage to bigger area to search for food.
- Adult female with eggs tend to stay near in harbourage area.
- Cockroaches can survive without food for 1 month.
- They prefer to have their body touching on a surface when resting or foraging.
- They can withstand heat up to 80 degree Celsius.
- Cockroach can live up to 1 week without its head.
- Cockroach can hold their breath up to 40 minutes.
- Some cockroach species are edible.