Species commonly found in Singapore
1. Aedes Mosquito, Aedes aegypti, Aedes albopictus
2. Anopheles Mosquito, Anopheles maculatus / sundaicus
3. Culex Mosquito, Culex gelidus / quinquefasciatus / tritaeniorhynchus
Mosquito’s life cycle is a complete metamorphosis. Entire cycle takes approximately 7 days. Mosquito eggs are laid either in singly or bunches, on water surface or in place where they will become wet when flooding occurs. Larvae and pupae live in water. Larva undergoes 4 instars before turning to pupa stage.
Interesting facts about mosquitoes
- Famous for Dengue, Zika, Yellow Fever, Malaria & Elephantiasis diseases.
- Both male and female mosquitoes feed on plant nectar for nourishments. But, only female mosquitoes take blood meal for egg production.
- The swelling and itch received from a bite is an allergic reaction to it’s saliva that contains an anesthetic and an anticoagulant.
- Aedes mosquito’s egg can survive without water up to 6 months.
- Dengue is not contagious from person to person.